The faculty and staff of Hollenbeck Middle School is dedicated to creating safe, enjoyable, positive, and controlled activities while maintaining student safety.
The following guidelines shall apply for Halloween 2017:
- Students may wear costumes to school. The single largest criterion is that costumes may not be demeaning to any person or group based on ethnicity, race, religion, nationality, disability, gender, gender identity (boys as girls and vice versa), or individual (staff or student) at the school.
- Costumes may not cause a significant disruption or distraction to the school program; i.e. no revealing costumes (low cut, French maids, nightwear, bathing suits, etc.)
- No costumes may include props or equipment that is unsafe.
- No weapons, or even replica weapons, are to be brought to school.
- No costumes are allowed that completely hide the identity of the student; i.e., gorilla suit, “scream” character, etc.
- No costumes are allowed that would impair a student’s vision or movement (ability to climb stairs).
- Clown masks may not be worn by individuals; further, no makeup (including clown makeup) which will completely obscure the identity of an individual may be worn on any District property
- Masks may only be worn during a parade or other specific activity, as determined by the site administrator.
All provisions regarding obscene materials or prohibited substances remain in effect.
Have a fun and safe Halloween.
Randy Romero, Principal